Can fish fingers really make a difference?
One of the most laborious chores you can ever do is taking out the bins. Years ago it was simple, you take out the bin or bin bag and that was that. Currently I have four bins for my waste, general, food, garden and recycle. I find it a challenge remembering which bins are due for collection this week and if the neighbour gets it wrong so do I because I have become a ‘bin sheep’ following the lead of my neighbour. But this is not the most important issue for me in regards to bins. Every time I put some rubbish in the recycling bin, I think to myself “what difference is the recycling of this empty box of fish fingers or whatever going to make on saving the environment”. I think about all those lorries on the road, ships that bring the goods here, energy wasted on making the products and not to mention the amount of unnecessary packaging used! What difference will my box of fish fingers make?
I came in to work one day and came across ISO14001. What is this all about or have they just messed the numbers up. Well the numbers were not messed up, but in fact we were going through the process of certifying eXceeding to ISO14001 through a 3rd party.
What is ISO14001? It is an environmental management system helping organisations to identify, manage, monitor and control their environmental issues in a “holistic” manner. It requires that an organisation considers all environmental issues relevant to its operations, such as air pollution, water/sewage issues, waste management, soil contamination, climate change mitigation/ adaptation, resource use and efficiency.
What are the benefits?
- Identify cost savings with greater emphasis on resource, waste and energy management
- Develop the corporate image and credibility
- Quantify, monitor and control the impact of operations on the environment, now and in the future
- Ensure legislative awareness and compliance
- Improve environmental performance of supply chain
- Protect the company, assets, staff, shareholders and directors
- Potentially decrease public liability insurance costs for your organisation
- Grow your access to business partners and potential customers
- Ultimately to operate in a sustainable manner!
It all made sense, I’m doing my bit and business can now do their bit. Recycling my box of fish fingers can make a difference.
eXceeding is proud to announce eXceeding’ environmental management system is certified to ISO14001:2015 by a UKAS accredited body.
For further information on responding to Bids and Tenders please visit our Bid Writing Services page
Email [email protected] or call 03333 555 111 for all enquires.